Lenzing and Tencel, the globally leading supplier of sustainably produced Lyocell and Modal fibres, has partnered with One Tree Planted, a non-profit organisation focused on giving back to the environment and helping reforestation efforts around the world.
How Lenzing supports One Tree Planted
The One Tree Planted and Lenzing partnership came about after the devastating California wildfires in 2019, which resulted in 876,000 acres of forests burned and damaged. Lenzing and Tencel have leaned into the power of social media to support reforestation efforts with a few different campaigns. First, they donated one tree for every five likes or 10 shares on their social media. During the past holiday season, Tencel launched a #12DaysofGiving online sweepstakes. For every submission, Tencel pledged to plant one tree – up to 10,000 trees!
Tencel also offers a 1:1 model – one tree is planted for every purchase of a product with Tencel branded Lyocell and Modal fibres.
The company also has matched each retail partner’s donation of a minimum of 1,000 trees.
A portion of this donation has been applied to a reforestation project in the Yosemite Valley of California in order to support forest fire restoration after the Ferguson Fire that occurred in the summer of 2018 and burned over 96,000 acres. The overall initiative, with Lenzing as a contributor, planted a total of 115,000 trees across 875 acres, in an area located immediately west of the community of Yosemite West and roughly surrounded otherwise by Yosemite National Park and Sierra National Forest.
In addition to planting trees with One Tree Planted, Lenzing has demonstrated their commitment to sustainability by:
- operating in line with three strategic principles within the context of its “Naturally positive” sustainability strategy: partnering for change, advancing circularity and greening the value chain,
- setting an ambitious science-based target (SBT) for a 50 percent reduction in CO2-emissions per ton of pulp and fiber sold by 2030 and aiming to be carbon neutral by 2050,
- introducing the first TENCEL™ branded CarbonNeutral® fibers in September 2020,
- aiming to manufacture staple fibers on an industrial scale containing up to 50 percent recycled material by the year 2025,
- launching a digital platform in 2020 in cooperation with TextileGenesis™ to enable the traceability of textiles, from the fiber to all stages of production and distribution, and more!
Both One Tree Planted and Lenzing are environmentally ethical companies that value trees, wildlife, and land protection.
Read more about One Tree Planted
Interested in sharing news with PCIAW®?