PDC BIG celebrated its 30th year of manufacturing badges in the UK in August. The innovative badge company operates at their 14,000 square foot premises in Ipswich, which boasts 65 employees (and more further afield – 6,500 around the world).
Regional Business Manager, UK and Ireland Mark Alderman – arguably the heart of the brand – invited Louise Joy, Editor and Yvette Ashby, Managing Director of director-e to tour the factory and learn more about the badge manufacturing process.
THE HISTORY OF PDC BIG
(A BRADY BUSINESS)
PDC BIG is part of the Brady Corporation, which launched in 1914 and offers 104 years of ID experience. However, the badge manufacturing part of the business – originally known as BIG – was founded in 1988 in Hampton. In 2003, Brady purchased BIG and merged it with PDC and CIPI – forming PDC BIG in 2013.
The object of this merger was to build a leading Global People Identification company.
THE HEART OF THE BRAND
One thing Louise noticed when visiting PDC BIG’s home base in Ipswich was how passionate they are about their brand.
”Relationships make businesses. ”
– Mark Alderman
Mark knows first hand what it’s like to be involved in business growth. He joined the company at 17 and started off pinning badges – moving up over 22 years to eventually become Regional Business Manager for the UK and Ireland.
Mark told us, “I’ve only ever had one customer visit us and not purchase from us and that was only because he was made redundant two days later! However, once the customer joined a new company, he soon returned to do business with us” he laughed.
“The customer is at the heart of our business,” Mark continued. “We have dedicated sourcing and product development teams and believe that we offer not just products – but solutions. We pride ourselves on our customer service” he added. “We’ve even picked up our badges on a Sunday and jumped on a Eurostar to Paris so the customer would have them for a Monday morning meeting!”
It’s clear to anyone that Mark has a giant passion for his role – and his customers. “I once had a customer visit who commented on our factory. He told us everyone was so nice and there was such a nice atmosphere – and that really hit me. It gave me goosebumps”
Louise also caught up with Dave Scarlett, Inventory Manager: the longest standing member of PDC BIG who has been there for 25 years now. His affection for the company was also clear.
”There’s something very special about this place – it would be very difficult to ever walk away. From the beginning, there have always been opportunities to move up and make changes.”
– Dave Scarlett
The PDC BIG company culture is based on five core pillars that customers have identified as most important to them:
- Innovation: PDC BIG customers have access to the world’s most innovative products in the People Identification markets. PDC BIG offer a bespoke co-branded or white label ordering website (called Click2Order) for all repeat customers which allow them to have their own company approved templates stored and where they can customise locations, names and titles and deliver direct to end users.
- Service: PDC BIG is passionate about solving customers’ challenges. They maintain world-class, customer focused sales and service teams that are consultative, proactive and highly responsive with Trustpilot scores of 5/5.
- Quality: PDC BIG products are designed, constructed, and tested to the highest quality standards. They maintain their industry-leading quality based on a culture of continuous improvement.
- Loyal: PDC BIG is a well-established, trusted company their customers can count on to provide excellent service and quality as well as innovative products.
- Fun: Although PDC BIG work hard, they believe in a friendly fun work environment – they enjoy their jobs, and their customers enjoy the PDC BIG experience.
The brand also offers Click2Order, a bespoke service offered to all repeat customers. Once a customer places an order, PDC BIG’s web team creates a customised Click2Order website with the customer’s logo. The website holds company approved templates from previous orders, where customers can log on, add their personalisation information and order directly for delivery to the end user.
This is the fastest and easiest way to manage, customise and order your badges. Bigger clients – such as Tesco, for example – even have their own hotline.
For more information, contact 0208 614 8880.
or visit: https://director-e.com/